Thursday, February 10, 2005

How long will it take till I see a difference?

What is this difference that you are waiting to see? Is it 1, 2, 3 sizes less than you are today? Would you like to be eating perfectly?

People often have a hard time with the time aspect of change. They really want to see results right away. It's so aggrivating that it takes a while - sometimes even a "long time" - to "see" a difference.

But in order to succeed you must be realistic. It is so hard to change (have I mentioned that yet?!), especially, I think, when it comes to food. So if you want to see a difference right away, you have to change what you are focusing on.

Here is a list of some things you can look at and consider a "step-in-the-right-direction" difference:

1. I am becoming more aware of what I put in my mouth.
2. I ate a little less cake than I would have last week.
3. One day, when I was bored, I was conscous of the fact that my eating was not a result of hunger and I was conscious of everything that went into my mouth.
4. I didn't bring home as much junk food from the supermarket than I did last week.
5. I made sure to drink enough water.
6. I am trying to figure out what excercise I would enjoy and might even be able to stick to.
7. I am becoming more aware of my hunger/satiety feelings.

When you think about how deep and complex this whole issue is, you realize that you must focus on the kinds of things mentioned above in order to be able to continue in the right, healthy direction, with a positive outlook on yourself and your possibilities.